Hello from Ljubljana, Slovenia.
As I write this the Second International Conference on Argumentation, Rhetoric, Debate and the Pedagogy of Empowerment, Thinking and Speaking a Better World, has just concluded at the Faculty of Administration at the University of Ljubljana.
With 22 countries represented and a full program of academic papers presented it would be hard not to call it a success. Exchange of ideas, learning and networking all abounded at the event. Including:
- Excellent keynote speeches by Frans van Eemeren of Netherlands, Kate Shuster of the USA and Omar Salahuddin on Malaysia.
- Wonderful reception at City Hall provided by the mayor, Zoran Jankovic, including a private tour of the city castle battlements.
- Sharp and focused interchange between panelists and audience at the many sessions.
- Wonderful breaks where plans were made for future cooperation and refinement of ideas.
- An excellent banquet featuring mountains of delicious Slovenian food.
- Videos, exhibition debates and panel discussions.
Many of these events were videotaped and will be on the web soon as well as announcements about the publication of a proceedings volume. We are proud to announce a new cooperative arrangement with the journal Controversia to seek submission to some of our papers.
Thanks to all hosts and organizers, and especially to all who attended. World Debate Institute University of Vermont and Za in Proti Slovenia were proud to be the organizers.
More to come about the next conference, now planned or 2010.